Nuffnang

Sunday, January 09, 2011

Of Foreign Ventures

So it's been a while... The first week of 2011 is coming to an end within a split second. I've been rather busy lately. With uni, work and whatnots. Though I do try to squeeze meet-ups in between, but I realised an hour to it, I'm already feeling too lazy to budge. Nevertheless, I make it a point to show up because I know how it feels like to be stood up or canceled last minute. It ain't a fancy feeling...!

I'm EXTREMELY glad to say that I'm getting along pretty well with my classmates. I try communicating more in Mandarin/Cantonese. Although when I do, they don't understand immediately. I think it's my horrendous pronunciation, phonetics & tone. So, somehow I would have to revert back to simple English for them to understand what I was trying to say. It's like a Cantonese saying, "Kai tong ngap!" (I hope the spelling's right lol) means, like a chicken trying to communicate with a duck. Which can be VERY frustrating at times, but it definitely beats sitting at a far end corner, feeling lost in translation. I started asking questions that we BANANAS should ask, "What is (word) called in Chinese?" or "How do you say (English sentence) in Chinese?" And surprisingly, they are very patient with me, and are super willing to tell me. Although I do get laughed at for certain silly questions... But I guess that's inevitable because some ARE really silly. I shouldn't even be calling myself a Chinese, like really really really!

Some efforts paid off. Like the other day I said something totally funny to them in Cantonese, and they laughed their hearts out before two (hilarious) seconds of jaw-dropped expression. Funny as in a relevant humour, not a silly mistaken remark. Jaw-dropped cause they seriously thought I am totally illiterate in Chinese! So I ended that day with a self-pat on my back :D It was a huge encouragement really! Shows that being put in a class full of Chinese educated students isn't exactly a "sentence" but an opportunity to learn and meet different people of different views and opinions. I'm really starting to appreciate my situation. I guess it's not a BAD thing after all. And I feel extremely guilty for all the rantings I've done last year :s

They're really really nice people. I realised that Chinese educated students are more down-to-earth compared to those who attend Malay medium schools, and are Westernized by movies, television, internet and whatnots. I'm guilty as charged. And in other words, we're BITCHIER than them. Dare you deny that? We're more superficial and skeptical, in so many ways it's damaging to oneself and others. AND we're more corrupted too. So, being in their group (or almost, I HOPE) makes me feel somewhat carefree. I don't have to worry about backstabbing, scandals, two-face nature, judgement etc... Oh I must mention, it's partly because most of them are from different states like Perak, Johor and Sabah. These states consist mainly of small towns. So they're not corrupted by city issues. In my opinion, that feels like a clean slate no? I sometimes wish I came from a small town. Where ignorance is bliss! Where we don't have to be skeptical about other people, because they're genuinely good at heart. Whereas in the city, it's filled with lies, greed, deceit, sex, corruption and MONEY MONEY MONEY.

This is purely my opinion. I may have perceived it wrongly, or stereotyped Chinese educated people unintentionally... But I'm still trying to step out of my comfort zone, and reprogram what I think of these people. As I realise now, I have misunderstood most of them, and if I could turn back time, I would have tried harder not to fall into cliques (back in highschool) and consequently outcast those who we labeled as "Chinese-Ed" from our social circle. I guess the punishment I got was being placed in a class full of them. So now I gotta "do my time" by learning Chinese and making up to them. No complains. I'm guilty as charged, so I shall accept my punishment.

So far, 2011 has been filled with challenges! Not only am I gonna venture further into a course that's totally foreign to me, I have to adapt to a totally foreign environment and get to know new people, ALL AT ONCE. At times I feel like giving up and not bother, times like these I probably had lack of sleep the night before. And at times I feel pumped up and encouraged by new challenges. All in all, I'M TOTALLY KNACKERED BY IT! It's exhausting! PERIOD! ACCA is getting harder by the day. Thankfully some of my classmates offered to help me out, since I'm like a lost sheep there. Oh, God bless their souls! My competitive self has pushed me to self-study and figure it out on my own. But I guess it's time I learn to put my guard (*echoes* EGO EGO EGO) down and start asking for help :D

It has only been a week, and so much has happened. New things to absorb and adapt. It's like, my mind is filled with things most of the time. I even dream of uncompleted stuff in the middle of my sleep. I met new people. Pushed myself to ask about Sunway's Student Council, even when it's not publicly announced yet. Boy, they must think that I'm such an enthusiast, in an annoying way that is! Had lunch with my Tanzanian friend yesterday. Oh, I realised. I mistakenly addressed TANZANIA as TASMANIA in my previous post xD Learned A LOT about the culture in Tanzania. AMAZING I must say. As I listen to his stories, I feel like I've been living in a shell. Learned more about his religion, he's a Muslim. Finally knew why most women in the Middle-East wear a Burqa, the clothing they wear to cover their entire body except their eyes. And why men were not allowed to even glance at women over there... Quoting him, "Because it all starts with the eyes..." *says cheekily* My conclusion: Men are sexual beasts, THAT'S WHY! LOL. Learned a whole lot about the food they have there, that's the best part YUM! He's gonna bring something for us to try tomorrow. I'm excited! And I just realised something. My last year's wish, that I've long forgotten, has been granted. I have an African friend! :D Although he's half African half Arabic. Ah what the heck, WISH GRANTED! TEEHEE :D

I simply LOVE LOVE LOVE learning about new culture! Listening to his stories is fueling my desire to travel. Like, seriously! I would kill for the opportunity to travel! I'm dying to travel. DESPERATELY hoping for a bird to lift me away to a foreign land... So, the sole reason why I just can't die now is that I haven't seen enough. There are hundreds of places I wanna visit, before I can die peacefully! And I've recently added Tanzania, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Dubai and Abu Dhabi to my list :D I shall make a post on places to travel one day. If I have the time... That's another task on my to-do list. Shit, Steph, you need to stop making ridiculously long lists that you can never complete!!!

Btw, I found out that quite a number of you readers read my previous post, from beginning till the end. Honestly, I never expected anyone to read the entire thing, because it's sooooo long. But I really appreciate it. Although I do feel a little embarrassed that you now know a lot of personal things about me, but well I should have expected that since this is a public portal after all. I don't really know what else to say, but Thank You for reading it. Somehow it matters to me that people actually bothered to read. This feeling really urges me to blog more :) It's a really good feeling to say the least.

over & out :)

No comments: