Nuffnang

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Places To Visit No. 003

Now that I've started, I can't stop. Ideas keep filling my head, and I can go on forever.

Next up...

No. 003 (in no particular order)

Greece
The place of art & architecture, history, mythology, wars, The Olympics and rich culture!

Athens, the capital and the largest city of Greece.
It's one of the oldest city; spans around 3,400 years (wiki)

The Acropolis of Athens (wiki)

The beautiful Mykonos, a greek island & top tourist destination; part of the Cyclades

Delphi is both an archeological site and a modern town in Greece (wiki)

Island of Delos, isolated in the centre of the Cyclades, is one of the most important mythological, historical and archeological sites in Greece (wiki)

Saronic Islands, located just off the Greek mainland

Thessaloniki, the second largest city in Greece and the capital of the region of Macedonia (wiki)

Lots of wiki links eh? You really gotta read them links to know more. There are so many historical facts, it'll take you on an intriguing ride!

For more information (there are tonnes, which is an understatement actually) visit visitgreece
and lonelyplanet.

Those are only some of the whole list of interesting places to see in Greece.
Now, when people mention Greece, I think about the historic places, the beautiful islands, but most of all... THE FOOD!!

The first thing I stumbled upon when I Googled Greek food was...

Feta cheese.
I'm a huge fan of cheese cheese cheese! So this is just marvelous!

Greek Salad. They have feta cheese, cherry tomatoes, olives and red onions, drizzled with olive oil... Oh so heavenly!
Here's a recipe :D

Dolma is a family of stuffed vegetables dish, like zucchini, eggplant, tomato, peppers and sometimes meat as well.
I'm not sure if it's traditional Greek food, wiki says it's Mediterranean, but I know it's a usual dish in Greece :D

Taramosalata; prepared from fish roe, freshly squeezed lemon juice, olive oil and either soaked bread or potatoes.

Tiropita or Tyropita, which are cheese pastries made from phyllo dough filled with feta cheese.

Gyros; meat, tomato, onion and tzatziki sauce, served with pita bread. It's a famous fast food in Greece.

Pastitsio; it's a baked pasta dish with ground meat (beef, veal or lamb), tomatoes, Bechamel sauce with grated cheese.

Galaktoboureko; a dessert of custard in phyllo, served with syrup :p sweeeet!

And I've saved the best for last. The one that I'm dying to try! I've heard of it a thousands of times. Seen pictures and even cook shows! Recently saw it on Junior Masterchef Australia (StarWorld).

Baklava; a rich, sweet pastry made of layers of phyllo dough, filled with chopped nuts and sweetened syrup or honey.
I'm so gonna try this recipe one fine day :D

That's all I can write about. There's so much more, but this post would be so darn long. And my arm is starting to ache. I'm sure a Greek would scoff at this post, because I doubt this really gives Greece justice. I found a whole list of Greek food and places to visit in Greece, it's amazing! These are the ones that caught my eye, or made my mouth water in hunger :p

Note: Photos are obtained from Google Image search. None of which belongs to me. I wish I could link each one, but that would take me forever. I repeat, I do not own any of this copyrighted photos. If you would like me to remove any of the photos that belong to you, let me know. Thank you.

No comments: