Nuffnang

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Tainted Desires

The Verve Pipe - Bittersweet Symphony


This year's CNY has been one of the most memorable. There was loads of surprises and tonnes of changes! For instance, it rained... The weather is surprisingly bearable. Usually it's friggin hott everywhere, especially Penang for it is a tiny lil island absorbing heat from the whole nation! Had plenty of unexpected experience. Discovered secrets and weird facts of my extended family. It's been a "thrilling ride". NO, I swear I'm not exaggerating!

1st day :


So, as I keep repeating that it rained, it has been a typical 1st day of CNY like any year. Had relatives over at my Grandpa's house. Ate the same thing every year - Jiu Hu Char (erm, you know the dish when plenty of veggies and tiny slices of cuttlefish? yeah that), Curry Chicken, Lobak (chopped pork/chicked wrapped up in Foo Chuk, don't know how to explain Foo Chuk... It has something to do with beancurd), Pig's Stomach Soup (as disgusting as it sounds, it tastes real good!), Braised Pig's Feet (Do not ask me how it tastes! I've forbid myself for eating animal's feet!). So, yeah. That's practically IT. Collected loads of AngPau. And had plenty of headaches caused by kids running around from all corners. The worst part is, my Grandpa's flat isn't really that spacious. So, I was gasping for air out of all the screams and googoogagas. On the very first day, the adults started to gamble. Like previous years, they played Gin Rummy over and over and over again. They never get bored. God knows why. But I have to say, it's pretty interesting especially when you keep getting 6 bucks for finishing all the cards in your hands.


Ohh ohh... I won 10 bucks from playing... erm erm.... It's this simple betting game where you get three cards and your points is from 1-10. Yeah, 10 bucks ONLY while others won 100 over!



This is practically what they do whenever there's a reunion. Talking isn't really their "Thing". =) Note the half-naked guy? He is the most hilarious, kiddish, fun and sometimes repulsive uncle I've ever had.



My dad. See that smile? I think he was partially "drunk". Bottom line : He CANT drink. But I can xD



This BIG guy over here's a family friend of many many years. Kids call him Uncle Dinosaur cause' his last name is Saw. I was once that KID.




This is my eldest aunt. She seriously does not look her age! Believe it or not, she's in her late fourties. Did I mention that she's pro in line dancing?



This is the hilarious uncle. Sometimes I wonder how my dad can be so dead serious at times while his younger brother manages to crack up jokes every 5 minutes! I hope my uncle doesn't sue me for posting his not-so-good-shape picture in public. Nah, I think he'll probably be flattered!





This fella is one of my eldest cousin. He's in his late twenties. Notice the huge gap? By the look on his face...Obviously, it wasn't his day of Gin Rummy.




2nd day :

Was pretty the same as the 1st. Then went to my uncle's restaurant, Hot Wok. Dang it! I wanted to go to his pub, Uptown, so badly this year. But he no longer visit his own pub after he got a stroke. There goes my Vodka Lime! Anyway, nothing much happened there. It wasn't as interesting as visiting him in his Pub because there are tonnes of entertainment there. There's the pool tables, karaoke, and a live band. AND you can actually see a couple of hooker like girls around, with those micro-mini skirts and net-stockings. I guess I've just figured out why my uncle no longer wish to visit that particular Pub that often anymore.


I did this while waiting for my relatives to arrive.



My bro's in the middle. The little one on the left is JJ, the hilarious uncle's son. One on the right is Nick, rich man's son xD


3rd day:
Went to another's uncles house for dinner. This was supposed to be fun. But it wasn't. Because there was no wine, no gambling, and not much of talking. Well, I guess I felt out of place because I only see them once a year. So our topics are just a mile of a difference away. Watched Material Girls, which I so regret wasting my dang time. That show sucks! The story line is just the lamest thing ever written. It's like as though the script writter just got tired of his/her job and decided to screw her way through to wasteland. Hilary and Haley are no better. They are just plain and confused ol' dumb blondes. Seriously! I thought Hilary does pretty well as an actor, but now her acting is just as BAD as her singing career. So, yeah. Thank goodness my cousin, Sara was there. Which sorta lightened things up a lil because we like to crack up silly jokes and just laugh about it. Did I mention that she's pretty dang corrupted? Explains a lot huh?


I shall skip the 4th day. All I did was followed my cousin home to feed her five dogs. I don't know how she manage a German Shepard, a Mini Pincher, a Silky Terrier, and two Speeds. They seem like a pretty handful!!! Other than that we just slept and laze around xD



5th day :

This was a great closing for the week. Went over to my OTHER UNCLE's house at Butterworth. I'm sorry, my Grandparents from both sides seem to be typical horny olden couples, just like everyone else back in those days. Oh, and May They Rest In Peace! Dad's side has 3 daughters and 5 sons. Mom's side has 5 sons and an only daughter. In fact, it's not considered MANY you know. I know other "senior citizens" who have 15 kids! ANYWAY... This particular uncle is pretty darn rich. He owns two homes. And did I mention that he loves talking about Golf? I mean, don't start that topic because he can go on and on and on for hours! Well, yeah. I'm exaggerating. That's pretty much all I did for the past few days. Anyway, my uncle's compound is huge! You can easily have 5 Siberian Huskies there!






It ain't exactly a Bangalow. It's just a one and a half storey terrace with a really huge compound!

Dad kept asking "Envy? Envy?" He thinks that we're not thankful that even though we live in an apartment, we have a roof above our head. And a whole lot of comfy pillows =))




Had my first JD with coke. It was awesome! I kept drinking that the whole day. I kept asking my uncle if it was okay if I wanted MORE. He just went on saying "It's alright. I've still got TWO more bottles in the cupboard..." Obviously, you could have guessed what happened next. I didn't exactly get drunk. I did feel all giddy and dizzy and my hands and feet were numb and I just felt like throwing up because things were moving up and down like a see-saw. BUT I was still very sane. So, I guess it was just a pre-drunk stage. Which means I had my first "high" moment. I got to use the phrase "I had too much too drink" for the first time. But I didn't get my first hangover YET.


After that, we went for dinner at Tambun. The owner of the restaurant was bloody generous man! He gave us a whole box of cracker for free. There were hundreds of crackers. But it finished so quick because other customer's kids came over and it was gone just like that!




Well, that's BASICALLY it. Had a lot of fun, surprisingly. I don't usually fit in because I WAS horrible in Hok Kien and I'm stuck in the middle. Most of my cousins are either too old or too young. But now, I get to fit in with the adults and soon... My cousins and I had lots to talk about. It's funny how time flies and it changes everything! One week passed so fast, now I wish that it's still the 1st day of CNY. Sigh! Not to mention that we'll all have to go back to school on Monday!!! I'm feeling so darn lazy.

Now I have to finish all these because everyone back in Penang chose Tiger, Carlsberg and Jack Daniels over em'. I think I'm so gonna bloat!

*~*~*~*scribbles and scrams*~*~*~*

No comments: