Nuffnang

Thursday, September 02, 2010

Where Cheese & Digestives Meet

Went on a baking spree again yesterday. Well, sort of... :D

Made No Bake Lemon Cheesecake first!
There are two kinds : one made with gelatin & condensed milk, the other made with wipping cream. I made the latter.

Digestive biscuits. Tastes good on its own too. Kinda sweet without addition of sugar.

Crushing them into fine granulated texture is the hardest part, for me... Took me a full 15 mins. And there were crumbs all over the place :/

After mixing with butter, it's time to layer up! I used a casserole dish because I didn't have a springform pan. And I think the crumbs were not fine enough...

Used my measuring cup to press it firmly. This is very important. Because if it's not firm enough, it'll end up like a cheese crumble. And must add sufficient butter to hold the crumbs together. Since it's non baked, the butter will not melt completely to fulfill that part. At least, that's what I think...

Refrigerate or freeze (which is better) while preparing the cream cheese topping :)

I used Philadelphia cream cheese, which is sooo tasty on its own. The aroma of cheese is fantastic. Gonna look for non dessert recipes to make outta cream cheese :D

Beat the cream cheese (I used an electric mixer, lazy me) until it's smooth. Then fold in whipping cream, for smooTHER texture. Oh! And don't forget some lemon juice!

It looks the same before and after refridgerating. I placed it in the freezer for an hour, before bringing it down to the lower rack. Tried it about an hour later, the crumbs still didn't stick well. But it was pretty alright the next morning.

So I'm guessing, if you wanna serve it, say later in the day. Place it in the freezer. Or leaving it in the fridge overnight will be just fine. But the crust will be way better if I used more butter and crushed finer...

Later that night, I made Banana Cake for Daddydearest.

Mom helped with the banana puree. Some would suggest to use banana essence, I think the cake will last longer since banana will spoil pretty fast. But I think au naturale is what's best :D Not forgetting some lemon juice again :) It's a miracle water.


Mixed lots of butter with eggs, vanilla essence, then finally, self-raising flour. I think self-raising flour can be replaced with all purpose flour and some baking powder, but I don't know how's the conversion like. The self-raising flour gave the cake some "bread" texture. A little spongy. Should have used that for cupcakes!

Bake for a full hour! But I removed it in 50mins. The top layer was starting to get burnt...

My little bro ran towards me in a panic, "Che, your cake is done! It's tearing apart!!!" LOL

Viola! Just like the ones you can buy from the bakery store. But those are too sweet for my mom's liking. Though my mom still found this sweet. I cut the sugar stated in the recipe by HALF! Any less sweeter would make em taste like sick food :p

Ah well... I'm done for now...
Next up : Pound Cake, Cream Puffs, Chocolate Eclairs aaaannnnddddd.... TIRAMISU!
I think the last one would be really tough. Would save the toughest (and best) for last!

No comments: