Nuffnang

Monday, June 28, 2010

I Need That Adrenaline

Standard Chartered KL Marathon 2010 is ovverrrr...!

Ah... I'm having post marathon syndrome. Symptoms? Ache. Boredom. More aching. And more boredom. I feeling like hitting the gym, and leap on the threadmill. But my legs ache like crazy. Tricking my body into thinking it's tired. Which tricks my mind into thinking it's sleepy. Causing me to feel sleeeeeepy! *snorts*

Anyhoo...
The run was great :) Had a blast, and I surprised myself. Indeed. Though I missed my secondary goal by 3 mins. Nope, I didn't have to kill myself, thank God :D Finished in 1hr 33mins. Primary goal was to finish within an hour. When an hour came, I realised we still had about roughly 2.5km more. Then shifted to my secondary goal :D Missed it by minutes. Pfft. But I wouldn't have made it without the boyf. He literally had to drag me through the last 50m. Never ever run next to a guy in a marathon. No matter how fit you think you are, the guy is ALWAYS fitter than you are.

At the starting line...
The boyf : Naah. You'll finish before I do. I haven't been working out... Cross the finishing line first...
Ms Air-headed : Really? You sure? Don't have to wait up?
The boyf : *Nods nods*

Midway into the run...
Ms Air-headed : *Pants pants* I can't... *Pants pants* Go ahead without me...
The boyf : *slows down* It's okay... *jogs jogs* ARE YOU OKAY?
Ms Air-headed : *shakes head frantically*

Yup he had that grin on his face, although not throughout the race. He had to stop for me a couple of times... Told him to go ahead but he wanted to cross the finish line together. Which we did... :)) Now I'm desperately looking for the photos taken by the photographers at the finish line. Seems like many of them were flashing their cameras when they saw us cross the line hand-in-hand xD

10km! Wasn't as tough as I thought.
Then again, it wasn't a piece of cake either!

Decided to take a few pictures when I was "big" walking to catch my breath. The last few kilometres were TOUGH! First 5km were surprisingly easy. We were like OMG! 5km already? Whoooot! *sprint sprint* (Sudden adrenaline rush) 15mins later... "OMG ARE WE THERE YET?" I was tricked by cheerleaders as well. Thinking that we were really close, I had a sudden adrenaline pump! God, I love that feeling. Made me feel like I could do the impossible! Like as if I was floating in thin air! I felt sooo light! All the aching suddenly disappeared! But the adrenaline rush disappeared as soon as it came. Lasted for a few seconds only. Then felt like hell again xD

It's actually a good thing that they don't tell you how far you've ran. Knowing that you have barely a few kilometers left makes you sloppy. Well, at least that's what I felt. My second 5km was sloppy as hell. Slowed down so many times to catch my breath. When I walked, my legs hurt so bad... It's easier to keep jogging. But when I jogged, my chest hurts. The boyf says I need to train my breathing technique.

Superbabe here finished in 1hr 30mins. "Shit I haven't been working out..." KONONNYA! :p

We went in a group. In the end we lost each other. The only reason why I wasn't alone because someone decided to wait up for me :)) <3

After all the exhaustion, we had to line up for 45mins, under the scorching sun, to collect our bagpacks. I was sooooo hungry and my legs were wearing out! I rather do another 5km than to wait in line! It was agonizing! After all the waiting, we had to walk allll the way to the "nearest" station : Masjid Jamek, to head home. Took a 4hrs nap after that xD Was dead exhausted!

On another sad note :

A man passed away from that marathon on that day.
Article from The Star
Toh Yit Meng's personal experience of the whole ordeal.

The boyf and I saw the man unconscious on the sidewalk when we were closing in to our final 2km. I saw several participants surrounding him, and a man tending to the guy (Lim) yelled out for them to space out so that Lim could get some air. Later, the boyf claimed that he heard the guy yelling "No pulse! No pulse!" We couldn't do anything, so we continued running. A few minutes later an ambulance sped through, and I could see someone inside trying to resusitate the unconscious man. But I guess they came too late. Read the personal experience note to judge for yourself. In my opinion, the organisers are the ones at fault. The ambulance came late and there wasn't any medics around. I personally did not see any medics throughout the run. Only DBKL officers on motorcycles and Standard Chartered volunteers. The man was only 25years old! Many said he should be aware of his own heart condition before participating in such event. But come one! He's so young. Who would expect a young man at that age to risk a heart attack or seizure? He looked pretty fit to me! So, I seriously think it's the organisers to blame! If the medic could have responded earlier, Lim could have a brighter fighting chance! They took 20mins to respond! That's absolutely absurd! Lim's family should seriously sue the organisers! Even Toh Yit Meng intends to boycott any event organised by them. Not Standard Chartered, but the event organisers, whose names I'm not sure of.

A clear prove that life is short, and we'll never know when our time has come. I still feel that eerie chill down my spine. The fact that I was there... Feeling very helpless, that I couldn't do a thing to help. I do hope that the organisers would seriously do something about it.

My deepest condolence to Lim's family. A brave man whose goal was to finish the race. May he rest in peace.

No comments: