Nuffnang

Monday, June 02, 2008

In A Solitary Style

My Chemical Romance - I Don't Love You


Teens in London protest fave band's 'suicide' label

LONDON (AFP) — Around 100 teenagers marched on the offices of a widely-read British tabloid Saturday to protest at its suggestion that their favourite emo band, My Chemical Romance, encouraged suicide.

They objected to Daily Mail's description of the US group as a "suicide cult band" after a 13-year-old south London student hanged herself two weeks after she started listening to its music.

The Daily Mail, which is read by more than five million people a day, described My Chemical Romance as one of the main "suicide cult" groups forming part of the emo phenomenon.

It went on to describe emo as a teenage trend exported to Britain from the United States in the 1980s and "characterised by depression, self-injury and suicide".

Most of Saturday's demonstrators were young girls, who chanted: "Don't blame MCR!"

Some dressed in typical emo fashion -- tight black jeans, studded belts, dyed black hair -- and heeded organisers' website requests to "consider dressing to suit the day... Don't try to dress stereotypically."

Accordingly, some fans wore homemade T-shirts with slogans such as "Think happy thoughts."

The teenagers had initially wanted to march to the Daily Mail's offices off chic Kensington High Street, but police quashed that idea because of security concerns.

Instead the main protest took place at the Marble Arch monument, next to Hyde Park, as smaller groups were allowed to protest outside the offices.

The article that sparked the protest concerned a coroner's inquest into the death of Hannah Bond, 13, who hanged herself allegedly after starting to listen to the band's music and becoming obsessed with death.

Yeap... I feel really suicidal alright.
Are you kidding me??
I bet tonnes of MCR fans feel like choking the Daily Mail's reporters.
Although I'm not one of them, I find it really stupid to blame it on an EMO band.
Yes I agree that MCR does channel suicidal lyrics and emo raging music.
But, it takes a stupid person to go suicidal over them.
Plus, how can you go suicidal over such a hottie like Gerard Way?
Doesn't he make you wanna stick around more... :D

Anyway, just came home from LEO Forum.
It wasn't that great. Quite a let down. Really not up to what I expected.
But I totally enjoyed the company.
Although we didn't really get the chance to 'session' because of the really strict security.
Girls weren't even allowed to visit each other's room after 12.30am.
Sucks doesn't it? We were only allowed to make room-to-room calls.
Can't believe I stayed up till 3.30am chatting with pervert ChongSheng.
Speaking of FAN Thong, I'm guessing there'll be a "hook-up" soon if he's not trying to be a complete jerk-ass joker. Tsk Tsk...
Thanks to the 3 hours long bus ride, we managed to catch up on a lot of things :)
I shall update more on it once I grab some pictures from YiLin, MeiShan and Eric.

Dang it. I have loads to unpack. And soon to pack AGAIN because I'll be off to Penang for 4 days.
So darn tiring! After these holidays, I shall declare that I've been to 3 different states in 2 weeks.
Pathetic!
Well, maybe KualaSelangor doesn't count because it's still in Selangor.
I'm shitass tired of travelling.
But but but... I swear I will not complain/whine/groan a single bit if you take me out of the country! :D Cross my heart.

Whoot! BitTorrent just alerted me that Grey's Anatomy has completed downloading :D Here I come, McDreamy!

*~*~*~*scribbles and scrams*~*~*~*

No comments: